A study by the UNESCO MGIEP using StrengthBuilders showed how social and emotional skill development requirements were similar amongst children aged 5-15, across countries and races. Our multilingual games were found to give children a leg-up to thrive in multi-cultural classroom settings.
We followed a multi-pronged approach to develop Mandarin language learning products for children aged 5-15, in the following manner:
• curaFUN teamed up with leading child psychologists, educators and professional counselors in China & Taiwan, to understand how Mandarin-speaking children learn languages.
• We used the insights to develop gameplay scenarios that are recognizable to children. Depending on the age of the child, these scenarios included realistic interactions. For example, introducing oneself, borrowing a book, making friends, asking for advice, giving directions, recommending favorite artists etc. These scenarios are in increasing order of complexity.
• Puns, phrases & words that are common in English-speaking countries (but not in Mandarin-speaking countries) were changed to suit the Chinese cultural context and vice-versa. This was done to make them more understandable and accessible to children.
• All conversations in the curaFUN’s programs were recorded enlisting real people and not AI. Native Mandarin speakers were used to record Mandarin conversations, while native English speakers were used to voice the English-speaking characters. This allowed us to infuse the natural tone of voice and cadence variations that native speakers use when conversing with others.
• Care was taken to emote in the conversations, to allow children to recognize audio cues and match them with relevant vocabulary. The animated characters were designed to display relevant body language – which are normally associated with the audio cues – to make the conversation as realistic as possible.
At curaFUN, our focus isn’t just on building your child’s vocabulary, but to make them so confidently proficient and comfortable in the foreign language, that they’ll confidently hold conversations with a native speaker. We aim to do this by eliminating the traditional, time-bound language classes (normally offered in schools/language institutes) and replace it with fun multilingual learning lessons that can be taken anywhere, at any time.
We are the only multilingual life skills & socio-emotional-learning character education games provider in the Asian market. We offer unlimited access to both the English and Mandarin Chinese versions during your child’s subscription. If you’d like to learn more about our product, feel free to reach out to us here.